Friday, June 5, 2009

Keeping the Heights Cool


It's hot already.

That's partly why I couldn't resist stopping by the new snoball shack parked in the Fiesta parking lot at 14th and Studewood. Also, I'm curious, and I wanted to know what the heck was going on.

Luckily, one of the three owners was manning MAM'S House of Ice Snowballs when I stopped by, and I was able to fire a fusillade of questions his way.

The New Orleans-sytle snowball shop has been up and running since Friday, May 29, although it has been "a year in the making." The co-owner that I chatted with is from England but has lived in The Heights for the past 2.5 years. He quit his job as an architect and decided to "jump on a whim" and "have a go at it" by opening a "cottagey, cutesy, cutesy" snoball shop on a piece of parking lot leased from Fiesta. One of the other owners is in the process of quitting her job as a receptionist, and the third owner works in banking as an accountant.

During their year of research, they uncovered a hierarchy of ice. Apparently, snow cones are on the bottom, shaved ice is the next highest level, and snoballs are at the very top, since they are like "eating snow." The owner describes them as "dreamy goodness."


They currently offer 28 different flavors, 6 of which are sugar-free. They are also in the process of working with a chef to develop natural flavors, and they are trying to accommodate customers' requests, including chocolate, nectar, and tamarind.

They are open every day from noon until 9pm (except when it's raining). They also sell sodas and candy, although pretty much everyone comes for the snoballs. The prices range from $1.75 for a small to $3.75 for a large, and they currently accept only cash. They are also available for parties and corporate events, and they are planning to do a charity event in October. If any of you hire a snoball trailor (or a taco truck) for a party, please invite me!

Future plans might include an open-mic night and/or a liquor license. They will also be using biodegradable cups, spoons, straws, napkins, and carriers soon.

I'm not really a flavored-ice fan, but I couldn't resist trying one after I had talked about it so much. I went with lemon-lime, although it was quite difficult deciding among all the flavors. I have to admit it was quite tasty--definitely very fluffy.

13 comments:

  1. Great. Now I want a snowball. Looks like I'll have to drive by when I come to visit V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hubby, kiddos and i walked up last night. it was great! what a nice summer tradition to have with the family. the flavors were awesome- we went traditional (strawberry, bubble gum, grape) but i sampled the wine cooler and bahama mama. fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place is fantastic! I have been there at least once a day on the weekends since they opened. The Bahama Mama, Pina Colada, Coconut, and Vanilla flavors are all wonderful, but the ice is truly what sets them apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading this post and the owner's belief in the "hierarchy of ice", we had to try it. The ice is great, although nothing beats the real old fashoned shaved ice from a block! Looking forward to the natural flavors since we found the syrups just too sweet. Great addition to the area. Now if they would only consider the sweet beans and tapioca like the places off Bellaire Blvd....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snow Cones, Shaved Ice, and Snow Balls are all made with the same machine (as shown above). This issue is the setting of the machine.

    I've been eating the Snow Ball variety as a child growing up in south Louisiana. I'm glad to have a place bringing the tradition of something superior to snow-cones and shaved ice to Houston! I'll have to stop by real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Went there yesterday to try it out. Its just like the shaved ice one finds in Hawaii. Its a bit pricier than I think it should be, but its a great addition to the Heights and I wish them success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish them success too-- but the prices are outrageous-- I could understand if it went from $2.75 to $3.00 to 3.50-- but increasing by $1 between each size increase is completely silly. The high price has caused me not to purchase from them in the future. maybe they will become more reasonable-- we are in the heights-- not river oaks. And there is also a thread on Houston Architecture Forum regarding the generator noise. I am not sure what the generator is used for, but is it really necessary? (and if they are using it simply to cool the snowball stand then I hardly call that necessary)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Note from the owners of MAM’s House of Ice:
    MAM’S NEEDS YOUR HELP!! First, we want to thank all our wonderful friends and neighbors - you have overwhelmed us with your kind words and support! We had hoped it would be the beginning of a smooth and cool summer in the Heights. However, there seems to be ONE neighbor that has complained to Fiesta about us, evidently this is a pattern with this gentleman and Fiesta has chosen to break our lease instead of having to deal with this one man. We have chosen to try to fight and show Fiesta that the right choice we believe would be to stick behind MAM”S and all the neighbors and friends that support us and let us stay on their parking lot as our lease stipulated. We have 10 days!! So we are asking anyone who would like to come sign our petition or send an e-mail of support that we can show to Fiesta to hopefully win back their support as well.
    THANKS!! And we hope to be the Heights Snoball Place for a long time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. palylady...I thought those were the prices too, but those were the specialty one. The small regular (mine had a mix of banana and cocounut) is $1.75

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not to be Ned Negative, and maybe it depends on traffic, but I DID notice the sound of the generator when I went there and it ruins the experience of sitting at the tables or waiting for your snowball for any period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. $1.75 for a small is too much-- small should be $1.00 to $1.25 max.-- but I suppose I just can't see the point in paying that much for ice and sugar syrup esp. when you can buy a whole gallon of that syrup for about $2....and I am not paying for a parking lot experience-- I am a little sad to see them move, but I wish them all the luck....but i still have the main street refrescaria-- which I think is often overlloked and forgotten

    ReplyDelete
  12. They seemed to have found a new home. On Saturday, June 20th I spotted them at the corner of Rutland and 20th, in a vacant lot right on the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  13. John- You are correct. They have relocated to a nice, grassy lot right at the corner of Rutland and 20th. Across from that funny chicken shack.

    While I am sad that they are not a quick walk from my home any longer, I do think this is a much better location and the boys and I will still have plenty o' snoballs this summer

    ReplyDelete