It's that time again: Lights in the Heights! This is by far the event the Heights is most known for and even the reason some people choose to live here. While there is a lot to do and see listed on the LITH page linked above, we do want to mention one special tidbit: Visit OoLaLa and Tulips & Tutus; both stores will be open from 10 am to 10 pm and offering a 20% discount all day if you mention their Holiday Code “Deck the Halls”(some exclusions do apply). So, use the discount and shop local!
- The City of Houston Solid Waste Management Department (SWMD) and the City Wide Club are co-sponsoring the 7th Annual Trash and Treasure Curbside Food Drive, benefiting the 31st Annual Christmas Eve Big Feast held at the George R. Brown Convention Center on December 24.
- By placing canned goods, non-perishable food items or toys in a grocery bag at the curb on your SWMD garbage collection day during the week you can help feed hungry families this Holiday season.
Saturday, December 12, 4-6 pm: Mathew Rosas book signing and reading at Heights Books-Libros
Monday, December 14; 7:00pm: Houston Heights Association’s Holiday Mixer and Toy Drive
- Bring new toys, a bike, books, or games to put under the HHA Tree!
- Come celebrate with homeowners of the 2009 Holiday Home Tour, Chairs Katrina Stilwell & Amy Brooks, and some of their volunteers.
- Music, Mixing, & Holiday Cheer! Everyone is invited!
- LOCATION: The Historic Houston Heights Fire Station and City Hall, 12th and Yale Streets
- Heights Rotary and the Houston Heights Association annually underwrite, prepare, and distribute food baskets to local families in need, chosen by area charities. You can help assemble and distribute the goodies on December 15 and 16.
- One hundred baskets (actually sets of six bags) will be assembled on the first floor of the Fire Station. Volunteers will be assorting bulk groceries among the baskets for two or three hours; come whenever you can.
- Delivery starts after lunch (approximately 12:00 noon) on Wednesday, December 16. Come by the Fire Station to pick up a set of bags and the name and address of the family to receive them; if you have a large car or a van, pick up several! Delivery should be completed that afternoon. If you are interested in lunch, BBQ plates are available for $10 (cash only) beginning at 11:00 am.
- Please help us make the holidays brighter for local families in need.
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS:
Thursday, December 10, 6 pm: The Mayor's Holiday Celebration
- This is rescheduled from the original December 4 date, which was cancelled due to weather.
- The show will be on the upper plaza at City Hall, 901 Bagby from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- The Mayor's Holiday Celebration is a long-standing tradition with music, festivities, fireworks and the lighting of the official holiday tree.
Friday, December 11th, 7 pm: MAWFashion with Hello-Lucky
- Angelo’s Houston is pleased to announce the 1st Annual MAWF [Music, Art, Wine and Fashion] Show with local artists and designers working collaboratively and benefitting the Houston Salvation Army.
- The fashion shows will begin at 9pm.