Friday, June 29, 7 pm: Doug Moreland plays the last show for Heights Live!
- Looks like the Heights family friendly concert series is coming to end. After two years of bringing many wonderful musicians to the Heights, I am sad to see them go. Apparently, they lost the space at Heights Presbyterian. I can’t imagine what else the church has planned for Friday nights, but chances are it won’t be as awesome.
- Doug Moreland, who is both a musician and a chainsaw artist (!), will shut it down for us.
Saturday, June 30, 7 pm: Free Summer Concert with the Houston Heights Orchestra
- Houston Heights Association presents a free show with the Houston Heights Orchestra at Marmion park, 18th and Heights.
- Pack a picnic basket and spread a blanket for the program featuring Sousa marches, patriotic tunes, and classical concert.
- Don’t want to pack your own picnic? Juice Girl, H-town strEats, and Porch Swing Desserts will be on hand to satisfy hungry bellies.
- The Houston Heights Orchestra is an open group with a colorful mix of professionals, music-loving amateurs, and students. We are so happy to have them in the neighborhood!
- For more information, visit either www.houstonheights.org or www.houstonheightsorchestra.org or call 713-861-4002.
Saturday, June 30, 7pm to 11pm: “Punk Rock Prom” Gala benefitting Girls Rock Camp Houston
- Tickets are still available at www.girlsrockhouston.org starting at $40.
- All proceeds from this event will benefit the Girls Rock Camp Houston, which is a day camp in Houston for girls aged 8 to 18.
- The Gala will provide complimentary beer and wine, graciously provided by St. Arnold Brewing Company and Glazer’s. Food will be provided by Radical Eats Comida Vegetariana and Sophia Restaurant.
- A Silent Auction will be held from 7pm to 10pm to benefit GRCH. Items to be auctioned off include Celebrity autographs, “Night Out” packages including dinner, hotel stay, and tickets to events by the Society of Performing Arts (SPA), and much more.
- The evening’s entertainment will include DJ’s and an amateur drag show competition with male and female participants (“King” and “Queen” of the prom!) Guests will have the opportunity to take ‘prom-style’ pictures. Those attending are encouraged to dress the part by wearing prom attire, punk rock attire, or a combination of the two. While encouraged, a dress code will not be enforced; the attitude of the event is “We don’t care how you dress, just come!”
- After the Gala, the official Punk Rock Prom After-Party will be hosted by Public House Heights, 2802 White Oak. Mention GRCH to receive happy hour prices all night, and Public House will donate a portion of their sales to GRCH.
- Girls Rock Camp Houston is a one-week summer day camp formed in October 2009 to offer girls (ages 8-18 years old) music and art based workshops. Targeted areas include: musical development, self-esteem enhancement, creation of their own music, friendship and community building, and nurturing individual talents within a cooperative atmosphere.
Starting July 6: Upstage Theater presents Happy Days!
- Upstage is bringing this Gary Marshall classic to the Heights in July!
- $20 - Individual Seats; $15 - For Students and Seniors and parties of 8 or more.
- UpStage Theatre is proud to be a family-friendly, all volunteer theatre in the Heights. For over 11 years, they have been providing an opportunity for the Houston community to enjoy high quality live entertainment at prices that are affordable to everyone. As a volunteer driven organization, “doors are open to anyone wanting to take part in our productions - acting, directing, technical theater, set design, set building, crew, ushers and concessions sales.”
- Lambert Hall on Heights Blvd
IN OTHER NEWS:
Hello, Lucky = super cute
I had to share these photos of some of the latest upcycled jewelry offered at Hello, Lucky. These are so cute and just scream summertime!
Interested in what’s going to open in the new “Heights (but not really in the Heights) Marketplace” on Yale? Here’s a pdf, proudly displaying a check cashing store, fast food, and a cheap haircut. Sigh.
Please help with a sidewalk survey!
A committee created by the Greater Heights Super Neighborhood Council is seeking volunteers to assist with a block-by-block sidewalk survey. This survey is one of many pieces that will contribute to the Super Neighborhood’s comprehensive transportation plan.
For the complete story, please read this Chron.com article: Group to do block-by-block Sidewalk Review
For information about volunteering, e-mail email@example.com.