Thursday, July 12 thru Saturday, July 14: “13” at HITS Theater
- HITS Theatre in the Heights is putting on a production of "13 The Musical," featuring a cast of performers in middle school/early high school.
- “13” is a “hilarious, high energy musical about discovering that cool is where you find it, and sometimes where you least expect it.” When his parents get divorced, Evan Goldman is forced to move from New York to a small town in Indiana, where he just wants to make friends and survive the school year. Easier said than done.
- Tickets on sale at http://www.hitstheatre.org/
Friday, July 13, 4pm- 8 pm: Chip Hight at Heights Cigar Lounge
- HCL is pleased to host Chip Hight for their first Hight Cigar Event. They will be introducing 3 NEW blends, along with Primitivo.
- Chip Hight is raffling off a "Special Rolling Event". This will be a 2 hour rolling party with 30 cigars!!
- Buy Any 4 Get 1 FREE +(1) Raffle Ticket
- Buy Box Get 20% OFF +(2) Raffle Tickets
- Hight Cigar will donate one cigar for each cigar purchased during the event to send to our troops thru the USO.
Saturday, July 14, 10:30 am -2 pm: The Transition Houston Transportation Action Group (TAG) bike rodeo volunteer training
- Facilitated by Bike Texas
- Hosted at the Green Building Resource Center at the east end of Washington Avenue. The SafeCyclist Curriculum is a comprehensive bicycle and pedestrian safety education curriculum designed for fourth and fifth grade elementary students. The SafeCyclist Certification Training provides teachers, public safety and youth professionals with bicycle and pedestrian safety interactive lessons and the curriculum needed to teach these life-saving skills to their students.
- Please register by emailing or calling Brenda Chuleewah, Teacher Training Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org or 512-476-RIDE (7433).
- Bring your lunch or $5 for lunch on site. Please dress appropriately. Helmets provided. Some bikes provided, but please bring your own if convenient.
- The volunteer training is be open to everyone--gym teachers, school teachers, community leaders, etc.
- Come see why your neighbors and friends adore NiaMoves! Nia offers over 50 classes a week, starting as early as 6 am. In addition to Nia, Yoga, Pilates and Zumba, they also offer Hoop Dance, Belly Dance, Yamuna Body Rolling, ZumBellyBolli, Kid's Music Classes, and more!
- Nia with Helen 8-9 am
- Nia for Beginners with Kristie 9:15 - 10:10 am
- Yoga with Elisabeth (subbing for Kay) 10:15 - 11:15 am
- Crescendo Family Music at 9:15 am ~ There are two open demo spots this Saturday to join our regular class. To RSVP, please contact Christi Gell at email@example.com. For more information, visit the website at www.crescendofamilymusic.com.
- What is Nia? Learn about Nia and the White Belt Training 9:15 am. Nia Intro Discussion on the deck. An informative talk on the benefits of the body-centered practice of Nia White Belt Training for those who want to take their practice deeper and/or teach Nia. Not ready to attend class? Stop by and meet the various NiaMoves' teachers and learn about their classes. They will be on the deck, happy to talk with you.
- They will have refreshments.
- 508 Pecore St
Saturday, July 14, 7 pm- 10 pm: Opening reception for Lisa Chow’s Once there was; once there wasn’t
- Fresh Arts hosts Once there was, once there wasn't: Two tales from the minds of Lisa Chow & Y. E. Torres, “a collaborative exhibition by an unlikely duo. Opening with Lisa Chow’s sweetly delicate paintings, this exhibition will slowly morph into Y.E. Torres’ darkly seductive installation performance. Midway through the exhibition, an afternoon tea celebrates the merging of both artists’ whimsical and feminine aesthetics, where each artist examines where reality ends and fantasy begins.”
- The opening will feature Lisa’s paintings, plus streamers, glitter and cupcakes. She says “Welcome to my world.”
Saturday, July, 5pm- 9 pm: “Women with Figures” on at S and T Art and Design
- Lynet McDonald, Kelley Devine, Julie Zarate and Ogla Galindo will be featured in this show at the Sawyer Heights Lofts at 2424 Sawyer Heights.
- “Women with Figures will display works from four women painting sexy, mysterious women who have hidden secrets and entice you to get to know them.”
- For more information on the "Women with Figures” and the artists http://www.sandtartanddesign.com/in-the-news or contact Terrence Boggs at (832) 413-2902 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, July 18, 5pm- 9pm: Greater Heights Area Chamber of Commerce’s Heights Community Expo featuring “Idol of the Heights”
- Tickets are on sale for this community event, including the American Idol style singing contest, local businesses on display, demonstrations and the Heights of Dining.
- Event tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the door (each ticket entitles adults to one beer or other beverage). Advance tickets can be purchased on the Chamber website, www.heightschamber.com.
- Door prizes will be awarded throughout the event.
- SPJST Lodge, 1435 Beall Street @ West 15th Street
IN OTHER NEWS:
Vinal Edge is now open on 19th Street
Their motto: Scaring your mother since 1985, this record and cd shop recently relocated to the Heights 19th St shopping district. Now open from 10 am- 7 pm, Mon- Sat and 11am - 6 pm on Sundays. Pop in and welcome them to the neighborhood!
NSABA- a new group working for a better Heights
“The North Shepherd Area Business Association is committed in improving the community as well as our businesses.”
Like their Facebook page and help this new community organization grow.
Are you ready for White Linen Night?
Check out the music line up at 226 Recordings on 19th St