Wednesday, September 12, 6 pm- 9 pm: BB's Cafe Heights is adding some "mood music"
- For their 1st night of live music, BB’s welcomes The Mighty Orq, who has
- been performing his blues-rooted brand of Americana around the world.
- He has won three Houston Press Music Awards, one being "Best Blues"
- this year.
- 2701 White Oak
Thursday, September 13, 5:30 pm- 8:30 pm: Write Now! hosts Houston’s 3rd “Postcrossing” meet up
- If you are interested in "postcrossing," please come to the third meet-up, this Thursday. Current group members will offer tips and instructions on how to participate and the many different things available on the website and the forum.
- The group is considering an unused postcard swap, so if you have cards you may want to trade, bring them.
- Postcrossing is an online project which allows its members to send and receive real postcards from all over the world. The project's tag line is "send a postcard and receive a postcard back from a random person somewhere in the world!” The idea for the project was created by Paulo Magalhães, who started the site on July 14, 2005. He was simply motivated by the fact that he liked to receive mail, especially postcards. “The element of surprise of receiving postcards from different places in the world (many of which you’d probably never have heard of) can turn your mailbox into a box of surprises – and who wouldn’t like that?”
- 3122 B White Oak
Friday, September 14, 6:30 pm - 9 pm: ROASTED: Unlicensed Sexually Oriented Businesses
- Organized by Children At Risk and hosted at A 2nd Cup, Roasted will be not only a public awareness event, but a public engagement event. Attendees will have the opportunity to become educated on the hot topic of human trafficking in the Houston area. Roasted will also act as a launch pad for those who desire not to simply hear statistics, but to also take action. Through presentations, interactive technology, and conversing with others who share the same passion, guests will become more informed and empowered to generate change in their own homes and communities.
- 1035 E 11th (Next to The Vineyard Church)
Saturday, September 15, 6 pm- 9 pm: Sketchy Neighbors Creature Feature #2 Silkscreen print show
- Join your Sketchy Neighbors for a creepy, crawly Creature Feature #2 Silkscreen print show.
- One night only hosted by Burning Bones Press. 1518 Yale
IN OTHER NEWS
Carolers and other festive types needed for Holiday Home Tour
- Music is in the air as the Heights gears up for the Houston Heights Association’s annual Holiday Home Tour Carols by Candlelight scheduled for Friday, November 30 and Saturday, December 1, 2012. Carols by Candlelight brings a new dimension to the annual event by featuring live entertainment at each of the six tour homes.
- Event chair Leann Mueller is seeking carolers, choirs, harpists, handbell choirs, as well as string and brass ensembles, to perform holiday music on the lawns or porches of each tour home. Children and adult performers are welcome. Each performer will receive a complimentary ticket to the Holiday Home Tour.
- For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all pertinent contact information. Deadline for participation is October 31, 2012.