- Help Keep Heights Green reach their goal of planting 100 trees in the Greater Heights area this year, replacing some of what was lost by the effects of Hurricane Ike.
- The event will be held at the amazing and beautiful Indian Summer Lodge. There will be food, wine, entertainment, a silent auction and raffle.
- There will be plenty of opportunities to give, and an individual donation of $25 at the door is greatly appreciated! This is a great opportunity to make a positive impact on your community.
Thursday, June 18, 6-9 pm: Opening reception for pta bakesale and spaghetti dinner group show at The Koelsch Gallery
- Artists include Camp Bosworth, Amy Evans, Chris Hedrick, Greely Myatt, Trong Nguyen
- 703 Yale
- The exhibit, featuring food art, runs through July 18, 2009
Piece by Trong Nguyen
Saturday, June 20, 11:30-1pm: Buddhist Meditation Class at Nia Moves
- "We all have within our hearts an extraordinary potential to experience unlimited happiness and freedom and to enjoy the peace and wisdom of an enlightened mind. In this course we will learn six special meditations from Transform Your Life to make our life joyful, meaningful and extraordinary. Classes are suitable for beginners and advanced students. Everyone welcome!"
- Creating Good Fortune & Happiness, 508 Pecore House
Drawing on Inner Vision ~ This series focuses on exploring creative self expression and healing. A seated meditation opens your inner mind, the source of creativity. You will then be guided to draw your inner visions into being. Follow your inner guidance to transform your visions into art and reality. You are the artist and the art.
You are welcome to attend one or all Art in Motion Workshops. Drop-ins are welcome.$15 in advance online $20 at the door.
for Fathers and Grandfathers attending with kiddos
- This is the final production in the Young Audiences series for this season
- You'll be welcome to Agrabah, City of Enchantment! All of the favorites from the film are in this stage adaptation of the Disney hit, including Aladdin, Jasmine, and of course, the Genie. Filled with magic, mayhem, and flying carpet rides, audiences’ spirits will soar with excitement. Most of all, enjoy singing along with the Academy award-winning score with songs including “A Whole New World” and “Friend Like Me"
- Lambert Hall, 1703 Heights Blvd
Wednesday, June 24, 6:30 pm: Monthly Heights PIP Meeting
- Concerned about crime in The Heights? Attend the Positive Intervention Program, or PIP, meeting at 1602 State Street.
- PIP meetings exist because dealing with the police and knowing what they do in our neighborhood can be confusing to some citizens. The PIP monthly meetings feature speakers from different divisions (Burglary and Theft, Homicide, K-9, Helicopters, etc.) explaining how their division operates and what has been happening in the neighborhood. For more information on what PIP is and what you can gain from attending this meeting, visit the HPD website HERE
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS
Now through June 25: Enhancing Taiwan Photo Exhibit at the Houston Public Library
- The 38 photos in this exhibition, each taken by one of Taiwan's top photographers, reveal the island's superb nature and culture and provide a fresh perspective on Taiwan's enchanting beauty.
- A snoozing princess, a gutsy guinea pig who learns to fly and a soccer player who loses his lucky sock - these are just a few of the memorable characters you'll meet in Aurora's next free community screening that features animation, live action and documentary films that will make you laugh, tug at your heartstrings, and take you on a sweet ride through a wide world of moving images. But this event does not stop with a screening, it actually starts with some musical tunes inspired by Father's Day weekend. The POP STARS show is a songwriter’s circle where four singers, who are also fathers (a.k.a. Dads Who Rock), take turns singing their songs and backing each other up with extra instrumentation and vocal harmonies. While children dance around and sing, parents can hear intelligent and amazingly beautiful songs (no Wiggles here) from four of Austin’s best singer songwriters. Come early to get good seats on the green and don't forget your picnics and blankets. First 50 kids get Aurora bubbles!
- Located at Discovery Green