It's not easy being a vegetarian in Texas, but our little neighborhood has some mighty fine options. For the vegetarians out there (or for those of you meat-eaters who also enjoy vegetarian options), here are a few of my favorites in The Heights:
- The Vegetarian Sandwich @ Onion Creek for $8.50: This sandwich is seriously one of my favorites in the entire city. I order it on the ciabatta bread (the best!). It comes with sauteed mushrooms, melted Havarti cheese, avocado, onions, lettuce, chipotle mayo, and tomato. It's bursting with flavor and the serving size is nice and large. It comes with chips, potato salad, or salad. I always opt for the salad, which has dark, leafy greens. The balsamic vinaigrette is perfectly tangy.
- Cheese Quesadillas @ Teotihuacan for $6.99: I love this restaurant. The food is tasty and cheap, the service friendly, and the atmosphere festive. Although there are only a couple of vegetarian options, the cheese quesadillas (trust me when I say a "small" is plenty) are perfect. The tortillas are divine. I order it with a side of rice, which makes the perfect meal (plus the free chips and yummy green sauce).
- Tofu Pad Thai and Soft Spring Rolls @ Thai Spice for $8.50 and $3.25, respectively: No, it's not the best Thai food in Houston, but it's a darn good option for being a bike ride away. Flavorful and a hearty portion size with reasonable prices and responsive/friendly service.
- French Fries @ Lola: It's not clear whether you can order these by themselves, but they sure are tasty. Sweet and salty. Very unique.
- Mona Lisa Pizza and Bread @ Collina's for $14.99: Fresh roma tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, and feta cheese. Yum! Collina's actually makes eating this pizza feel healthy.
- Mediterranean Pizza @ Pink's for $16.99: Garlic and olive oil brushed and topped with double feta, sun-dried tomatoes, onions, black olives, marinated artichokes, and fresh tomatoes (minus the chicken).
- Goat Cheese Salad @ Dry Creek for $9: Roasted garlic, goat cheese, and sliced pears with balsamic vinaigrette. Every bite is tasty!