Thursday, November 4, 2010

What's a Club Down House?

This is just speculation on my part but it may be something a lot like Denver's Cucina Colore. A couple months ago, I got an email wondering if I had any opinions on how the Heights would react to a new restaurant going in to the "dry area" around 19th. Of course, I have opinions but aside from my own, I asked around. I would say 90% of the people I spoke with were very open, some even excited about the idea. I passed this information on and then just a couple months later, I find the TABC permit for a private club in the very window that was asked about: the former Grateful Images building at 1801 Yale.

Grateful Images was one of my 1st company profiles and they will always have a special place in my heart for that (cue sentimental music ), but I am excited that there will be a restaurant in this location. I think the Cucina Colore concept could be a good one in this space. It sort of reminds me of what California Pizza Kitchen would be like if it was actually any good (Disclaimer: I take my kids to CPK a lot).



Again, this is total speculation on my part. Emails to the possible business owner have not been returned and, frankly, I am no good at researching TABC licenses. But if anyone else is, Club Down House is the applicant for the Private Club License. Let us know what you find out!

For anyone wondering the how and why of the Private Club and dry area, here is a very simple explaination: You can serve alcohol in the dry section of the Heights (or anywhere) if you are a private club. Patrons have to become "members" to order adult beverages. If you've ever been to Shade and had a cocktail or wine, you know how this goes. They ask for your ID and ring it up in some little TABC machine and viola, you are a member. There is no cost (at least not if the establishment is smart) and you are a member for some period of time, probably a year. That's all.

People like to complain that it's too hard to be a "private club" and that no restaurants will ever open where it's dry. Well, we have plenty of BYOB establishments that prove it doesn't necessarily take liquor sales to make a successful eatery. Also, one of the biggest "restaurant rows" in Dallas is in a dry area. Oh, and there is that little place Shade that I mentioned, which does pretty well.

I am strongly in favor of keeping the dry area as such, but I think if we have a few people who are willing to go the private club route, the 19th Street area can use more businesses that attract an evening crowd to the vicinity. Otherwise, it's plenty wet up and down Studewood.

11 comments:

  1. hmmm...did a search and selected Yale as the street name and chose ALL status type (active, inactive, pending original) and the results didn't show anything with the name Club Down House nor the Yale address....
    http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/publicinquiry/Status.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I did that too with the same results but there is the permit in the window. I just figured there was some trick I was missing. Maybe they wrote the name wrong on the permit? ANyone's guess is as good as mine... Or it fell through and they haven't taken the permit down yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in the Heights and now live in Denver. If you are getting a Cucina Colore, you are indeed lucky ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not trying to be confrontational here, as I am 100% neutral on the issue, but I'm interested: Why do you favor keeping certain areas dry? Is it for BYOB?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, personally, it's a little for BYOB but it also keeps the area from becoming the Washington Corridor. The "private club" license, in my mind, works for restaurants in a way that it doesn't for bars. It's a very small section of the Heights overall but I wouldn't want, say, Yale to become all bars. I just wouldn't. Some certainly feel otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, makes sense. Turning Yale into Washington would indeed be terrible! I knew you'd have a good reason :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi all! Chris Cusack here. My friend and business partner Joey Treadway and I are leasing the space at 1801 Yale, and we're excited about being a part of the Heights community. For now please know that Down House will NOT be a bar--more of a cafe and community space with a true sense of hospitality and a commitment to quality.

    I sent the admin of The Heights Life an e-mail this afternoon, and hopefully we can work together to put together a post that will leave no question unanswered. We're also hoping to introduce ourselves at the upcoming HHA meeting.

    In the meantime please feel free to shoot me an e-mail at christopher.lee.cusack (at) gmail.com with any questions! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Chris - welcome to the Heights! Can't wait to see what you guys are bringing to the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in the Heights for years and still love popping over to shop/eat and am STILL thankful for the dry district. Would anyone want a Chili's or a TGIFriday's on Yale?! Hells no.

    ReplyDelete