Thursday, Feb 10, 10 AM- 11:30 AM: Valentine Card workshop a Write Now!
Friday, Feb 11, 2011, 6 PM- 8:30 PM: Heights Beatniks opening for Diedra Lizcano
- Diedra Lizcano is the shop's featured artist for February and, so, they will be hosting an art opening to celebrate.
- Diedra's art has recently been exhibited at the East End Studio Gallery. You can see samples of her work on her website
- They'll have wine along with some light snacks and will be showcasing Valentine's Day goodies. As always, BYOB is welcome.
- During this event the store will also have a raffle for a chance to win a private introductory dance lesson for you and your sweetie with teacher Chad Cegielski!
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS:
Saturday, February 11, 10 AM- 1 PM: Basic Book Binding- Leather journal class at Texas Art Asylum
- The perfect book for recording your thoughts, experiences, idea
- sketches -- whatever you need to get down on paper. The leather-bound
- journal has 50 pages stitched into a leather binding with a self-closure to
- protect the pages. This is an excellent project for journaling, keeping
- notes, sketching, etc.
- To book the class, visit their Classes page
IN OTHER NEWS:
Have you heard of Better Block Houston?
- Better Block projects are temporary installations of Complete Streets that demonstrate how easy & effective it is to cater to all users while increasing safety, connectivity, walkability and economic activity. Some of the group's goals include promoting active transportation and sustainable communities for all people, creating dialogue among groups that may not typically talk to each other, and catalyzing changes in Houston's planning and development culture. They believe the community can do all this by making Complete Street possibilities tangible for a day!
- Better Block volunteers voted to select the 1400 block of Holman in Midtown for Houston's first Better Block event. The official host is the Community Artists' Collective!
- The event will be Saturday, April 9, 2011, intended to coordinate with and support Midtown's Art in the Park event in Baldwin Park, just a few blocks north on La Branch at Elgin. Between student pedestrians, a bike route, several bus routes, and proximity to METRO light rail, the organization recognizes this block is already a busy transportation node and is imagining what's possible if they put more of the right amenities in place and make this a Better Block!
- There are planning meetings coming up for Marketing and Site Design. Currently Facebook remains the easiest place to get the most-current information on Better Block Houston. If you use Facebook and are interested in keeping up with the project, "like" the Better Block Houston page
Also, The Corkscrew is plotting its return and looking for sort of grassroots investors.
- Remember The Corkscrew on Washington? Well, the owners are trying to re-open but in the more subdued Heights, rather than the raucous Washington Corridor. Apparently, they have a location picked out and claim to have the know-how. What they want to launch are many small investors who will help them open by joining a club of sorts. This is from an email I received, kind of sort of outlining what you get as an "investor":
- "How would you like to be part of the next chapter of The Corkscrew? We are currently accepting inquiries from interested parties for partnership to join The Corkscrew team. This is very unorthodox and highly unusual, but it I believe that there are enough Corkscrew fans out there that would not mind the idea of the bar making a return.The investment would be small and the benefits would be enormous. Entry into bigger larger WINEAPALOOZAS ,wine discounts, party room preference bookings, back/foot rubs ,but not like gross feet ok? You get a ton of stuff to go with the partnership for a small investment. What's not to like? Nada, it's impossible not to like. All inquiries will be kept confidential, obviously. Respond to firstname.lastname@example.org a
nd we will go from there."
- I am very curious to see how this all pans out. ^There's the email address if you're interested!