- Many people are convinced that they can't afford green design or that the LEED Rating System is too expensive. The purpose of this seminar is to examine these myths and truths. Diane Alexander will cover green design from the residential perspective with an emphasis on renovations and ideas that you can implement. Rose Lopez will talk about the commercial design side. Both have real world examples of green projects that have come in under realistic budgets, and information on choosing green products and what to consider when designing green spaces.
- See http://www.greenhoustontx.gov/gbrceducation.pdf for more details and a map.
- Green Building Resource Center, 1002 Washington Avenue
- Please RSVP to Steve Stelzer at 832.394.9050 or email email@example.com.
- Join Heights Cigar Lounge for their first Oliva Event. Jeff Nolan with Oliva will be onsite to answer any questions you might have about these award winning cigars.
- Lots of specials, including
- Buy 5 Cigars Get 2 FREE!
- Buy 1 BOX Get 20% OFF +Cigar Sampler+ Raffle
- Buy 2 BOXES Get 20% OFF+ Cigar Sampler+Ashtray+Raffle
- 240 W 19th St
Saturday, February 18, 10 am- 1pm: Pen and Ink Drawing Techniques with Doug Hiser at Texas Art Asylum
- This exciting new class will cover all aspects of ink techniques with a finished project including a shape, seashells, flowers, butterflies and bones. Students will learn about crosshatching, stippling, pointillism, ink pressure and intensity, contrast and composition aesthetics in ink work. The finished piece will represent nature and contrast, harmony and balance.
- All materials provided with fee
- Instruction: $35.00 ; Materials $15.00
- Visit Texas Art Asylum's website to register
Tuesday, February 21, 5:30 pm: Fat Tuesday at BB’s
- The folks at BB’s Heights are starting their own Krewe and want to invite all of you! Come join the KREWE OF BB's on in celebration of Fat Tuesday with live music by
- Keyun & The Zydeco Masters
- Starts at 5:30pm in the parking lot
- Indulge in the Cajun Pot or reserve a VIP spot at The King’s Table
- Abita beer specials, prizes, crawfish, king cake, full bar, great food, beads and more beads.
- For more information (or to reserve a spot at The King's Table) check BB's Facebook Page
- 2701 White Oak
Saturday, February 25, 7 am - Noon: Helms Elementary First Annual Garage Sale
- Helms PTA will present their First Annual Garage Sale to savvy shoppers looking to snap up clothes, household items, furniture, books, & unwanted treasures at a steal.
- 402 Aurora St., Houston, TX 77008 (Corner of Arlington/Aurora).
- Helms PTA is still seeking donations and volunteers for this event. To volunteer and/or donate gently used items, small and large, please contact Susan Davis at 832-788-5501
Friday, February 24 - Sunday, February 26: Houston Modern Market
- Way too much going on to list here. Check out the HMM Webpage or HMM Facebook Page for information on the many great events within this amazing market!
Saturday, March 3, 5 pm: Free Movie Night at Jaycee Park
- 5:00 Face painting, balloon artist and pictures with a dragon (a picture of it is on the flyer - perfect for both my 3 and 6 year old)
- 6:00 Concessions for purchase to support renovation efforts.
- 6:30 Movie starts - HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
Monday, March 5, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm: Annual Operating Budget Capital Improvement Plan for District H Council Member Ed Gonzalez
- Jefferson Davis High School (Atrium), 1101 Quitman
- Since 1984, the City has held public meetings to obtain citizen input before preparation of the operating budget and capital improvement plan. These meetings provide citizens the opportunity to participate in the budget process by contributing comments and suggestions about needed services and improvements.
- The meetings will also include a short presentation by Housing and Community Development with respect to the update of the Consolidated Plan, and an update on the City's implementation of ReBuild Houston. This year, as a result of the ReBuild Houston initiative, there is now a ten-year plan for street and drainage improvements.
- For more information and specific details about the Capital Improvement Projects in your area and to see a draft of the Rebuild Houston ten-year plan please visit: http://www.houstontx.gov/cip/index.html.
- For additional information, please contact Cecilia Ortiz with the Mayor's Citizens' Assistance Office, at (832) 393-0955 or email Cecilia.Ortiz@houstontx.gov.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The Washington Avenue Living Centers project kicked off with a very successful open house. More than 80 people attended, offering suggestions and dreaming of the possibilities of a well planned urban neighborhood. Check out their blog here for a recap and photos.
Happy to report our friend The Doggie Door Burglar was arrested and pleaded guilty in court this week. From KHOU (full story and mug shot here)
Police say the man who was caught on camera squeezing through the doggie door of a Montrose home earlier this month has pleaded guilty.Have fun in jail, Steven. We won't miss you!
Steven Groucho Hicks, 29, was taken into custody Thursday and charged with burglary of a habitation. He was sentenced to six years in prison on Monday.
Hicks was caught on camera by a homeowner who decided to install a camera in his backyard after neighbors saw a man trying to get into his house through the doggie door.
And speaking of crime, be sure to LIKE the Inner Loop Houston Crime Alert page on Facebook. A lot of people have been sharing information about suspicious characters there. As a neighborhood, we are our first line of defense against these nasty buggers!