Well, the holidays are upon us. Hard to believe next week is already Thanksgiving! We are hosting my husband's family for Turkey Day this year, so no post next week. While I won't be posting here, I have a lot to be thankful for, not the least of which is this amazing community: The Heights! I am so happy to have you all as my friends and neighbors.
Thursday, November 15, 4pm - 7 pm: The Market at Silver Street
- This is an indoor, weekly market. Vendors change but recent items for sale have included Fruits and Vegetables, Tamales, Dog Treats, Baked goods, Candles, Jelly, Pickles, Soaps, smoothies, Wheat Grass Juice, Coffee, Knife sharpening, and more
- 1501 Silver Street
Friday, November 16, 5pm: Friends of Jaycee Park presents The Lorax
- Children's activities at 5:00 PM
- Pictures with Santa at 5:00 PM
- Silent Auction at 5:00 PM
- Lorax screening at 6:00 PM
- Support the park’s shade canopy fundraising efforts by buying pizza and popcorn at the concession stand.
- Jaycee Park is a 7.4 acre city park located at 1300 Seamist Drive 77008. Approximately two years ago, Friends of Jaycee Park was organized with the purpose of improving this park that had not seen improvements in over 40 years. Dedicated volunteers from 5 area neighborhoods united forces with the Houston Parks Board and Houston Parks and Recreation Department and have been successfully working towards the full renovation of Jaycee Park.
- Learn more about the Jaycee Park project and their partner, Houston Parks Board, at www.houstonparksboard.org.
Friday, November 16, 7pm -10pm: Neopopstreetfunk 4 at Gallery M Squared
- Some consider this the best little group art show in town.
- “Showcasing new work from 28 visual artists of every variation, Nicky Davis and Kevin Sechelski continue to set new standards in the Houston art scene with their iconoclastic, irreverent shows. From gritty guerilla street art to fantastical surrealist offerings, Neopopstreetfunk 4 promises a night of visual bliss and aesthetic beauty, but with a swagger, as well.”
- 339 West 19th Street
November 16- November 18: WHAM- Winter Holiday Arts Market
- Every year, Fresh Arts (formerly Spacetaker and Fresh Arts Coalition, who have mrged) hosts the Winter Holiday Art Market- “one part curated festival, one part holiday party, and all kinds of fun.” Houston artists offer all kinds of wares, from paintings and jewelry, to clothing and more. Shoppers enjoy art, food, entertainment, and Houston artists get support via “the holiday revenue stream.” WHAM has become much more than just a market for Houston artists and art lovers.
- Winter Street Studios, 2101 Winter Street
- November 16, 6PM-10PM (Preview Party)
- November 17, 11AM-8PM (Free)
- November 18, 11AM-4PM (Free)
Friday, November 30, 8 pm: W.O.M.A.N. supports Movember at Big Star Bar
- Featuring music from: Punk Rock Project, Texas Mod Crushers, BreeFeer, and GoRealAh Soul
- Silent Auction & Raffle till midnight
- No Cover, 21+ only
- More about Movember: During November each year, Movember is responsible for the sprouting of mustaches on thousands of men’s faces, in the US and around the world. With their Mo's, these men raise vital awareness and funds for men's health issues. Mo Bros effectively become walking, talking billboards for the 30 days of November. Through their actions and words they raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health. All funds raised in the US by Mo Bros and Sistas go to support prostate cancer and testicular cancer initiatives. The funds raised are directed to programs run directly by Movember and our men’s health partners, the Prostate Cancer Foundation and LIVESTRONG Foundation.
- 1005 W 19th
IN OTHER NEWS
Tangled Salon & Spa once a year super special
- As the Holidays approach, Tangled Salon has a great offer for old or new client. They are offering a once a year purchase of $500 for one year of Hair Color/or Cutting, or Massages. You receive one service per month, which can be savings of more than $500 over the year. The sale starts Friday, November 16, and ends December 1.
- 3902 North Shepherd Drive #1 Houston, TX 77018
- (713) 677-0697