Thursday, January 17, 8 PM: Premier of Leighza Walker’s "Fishing" at Obsidian Art Space
- Leighza is very excited to see the production of this play, the first full length play she wrote. There was a time she wasn't sure if it would ever be produced. Luckily, it has found a home and a cast at Obsidian. Join Leighza and her crew for the Premiere.
- “Grant fears his two year long emotionally charged friendship with Meg is a threat to his marriage. His wife, Dana, on the other hand, thinks it just might save it. Meg is caught between the two, wanting desperately to move to a new level of intimacy with Grant but terrified the friendship will end if she is the aggressor. Grant and Meg tightrope walk the fine line between friends and lovers until Dana's plan to explore new territories of trust and commitment forces all three to reconsider what they really want.”
- Click HERE to buy your tickets
- Show goes through February 2nd
- 3522 White Oak
Saturday, January 19, Noon - 3 pm: "Beautiful You" at One Green Street
- Dr. Hauschka Certified Skincare Educator and Professional Makeup Artist, Dane Halter, along with Amber Baker, will be at the store to offer skincare coaching, makeup tips, and actual application. This complimentary, one-on-one experience might very well change the way you feel about makeup and skincare. Attendees will learn about color matching and application, as well as the pure ingredients of the “bio-dynamically farmed and produced Dr. Hauschka product line.”
- OGS is currently scheduling half-hour appointments starting at noon. If interested, please call (281) 888-9518 or email email@example.com. Space is limited!
- 3423 White Oak
Wednesday, January 23, 11:30 am- 12:30 pm: Parenting Partnerships workshop at Beck’s Prime
- Lead by Heights resident Susan Marsh, M.Ed., CFLE, this Parenting Partnerships, Inc. workshop is the first in a new series. Parenting Partnerships “provides family life education services to all organizations that provide services to families. Our family life educators are qualified to teach parent education, family communication, interpersonal relationships, family conflict management, family organization, child development and provide support for the many challenges families face in today's society.”
- This workshop will focus on the following question: How can parents make sure they are doing what is necessary to raise self-confident, compassionate, responsible children?
- There are no easy answers. However, this workshop hopes to offer tips that may make a parent’s job a little easier. “These tips can help parents respectfully teach their children responsibility and life skills that help them improve grades and get along well with others. Learn how to minimize power struggles and create a calm, cooperative home.”
- Please visit www.parentingpartnerships.com for email Susan for more information
- Beck’s Prime, 19th @ Heights
Wednesday, January 23, 6 pm-7 pm: Houston Bayou Greenways Spring Kickoff Meeting
- Voters in Houston chose to vote for the "Parks By You" bond initiative in large numbers. It passed by 68%! Organizers are now ready to keep the incredible momentum to unite our bayou greenways by 2020.
- The best way to learn more and get involved is to come to attend the Spring Kickoff Meeting, where they’ll be launching the spring campaign.
- RSVP right away and bring a friend to Heights Neighborhood Library, 1302 Heights Blvd
- Let's continue building a powerful community of people standing up and saying we want to be a city known for its Bayou Greenways.
Thursday, January 24m 6 pm - 8 pm: Complimentary Spanish Wine Tasting at The Corkscrew
- Join reps from Ramirez Imports as they pop the corks of some "muy buenos" vinos from Spain. They will be pouring Amadeo Viura & Amadeo Tempranillo.
- 1308 W 20th
February 2, 4 pm- 7 pm: SNAP Fundraiser at Sonoma
- Call or stop by either location to reserve your tickets 713.864.9463 or 713.526.9463
- This is going to be a great event for a loving cause. If you haven't checked out the new location in the Heights, what better reason? They’ll be serving great wines paired with tasty bites prepared by Chef James Hackl and Chef Jeremy Meserole.
- This event benefits Spray-Neuter Assistance Program
Saturday, February 9: The Green Valentine Festival at Stude Park
- Established in 2005 as a simple tree planting, Green Valentine has sprouted up as a sustainable festival promoting the greatest of loves to protect the Earth, live a healthy lifestyle, give to the community and shop local.
- The free one-day celebration features local music, food, environmental non-profits, interactive activities on gardening, cultivating local ecosystems and supporting the local economy.
- “It’s about being a community. It’s about being sustainable.”
- Admission is free.
- This year’s fun will include: Green Speaker Series include talks on gardening, horticulture, fruit trees, chickens, bees, green homes, and more. DJ Sun & Soular Grooves. Food trucks, mobile boutiques, recycled & vintage fashion shows. Yoga, parkour, hula hooping. Photo booths.
- For more information, visit www.greenvalentine.org
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS
Saturday, January 19, 9 am-1 pm (or until sold out): Urban Harvest 13th Annual Fruit Tree Sale
- This annual sale brings together far more types and varieties of fruit trees than can be found anywhere else in the greater Houston area. The best fruit trees are only available during this winter sale. Select from a vast array of appropriate fruit trees for the metro-Houston area.
- Click here to find out of your favorite fruit is available: http://www.urbanharvest.org/events/fruittreeinfo/fruittreevarieties.html
- Sales benefit Urban Harvest, a local not-for-profit organization. Urban Harvest supports a network of gardens, farms and orchards in the greater Houston area and inspires and empowers people of diverse backgrounds to grow healthy foods, in the process enriching the city we call home.
- HCC Southwest Campus, 5601 West Loop South Freeway, 77081
- Learn more at http://urbanharvest.org/events/fruittreesales_old.html
Starting January 24: Hope Stone presents Social Dance Thursdays
- “Let your Dancing with the Stars flag FLY! come solo...come as a couple...bring a group. Just come and dance, dance, dance!”
- January 24, 2013, 8-9 pm SWING DANCE with Patty Holmes
- February 21, 2013, 8-9 pm WALTZ DANCE with Viktoria Belova Soto (pictured)
- March 21, 2013 8-9 pm SALSA DANCE with Chelsea Lu
- $25 per class/per couple
- $45 for ALL 3 CLASSES PER PERSON
- $60 for ALL 3 CLASSES PER PERSON
- Wine and Cheese following every class!
- 1210 W Clay (behind Vincent’s restaurant)
IN OTHER NEWS
The Travis PTA is gearing up for it's annual fundraising auction on March 2nd at Winter Street Studios.
- They’d love support from not just parents, but also neighbors and friends!
- Admission is already on sale: https://traviselementary.ejoinme.org/auction2013. You can also make a monetary or auction item donation online.
- If you think you'd be willing to make a donation, please email Jen McClure. She is chairing the event and would be delighted to touch base with you. Your donation will help make an impact on the lives of 700+ students in our community!
- The PTO is very proud of the funds they generated last year and how they've been put to work. Proceeds from the 2012 auction funded "Writers in the Schools," a creative writing program that brings real writers with innovative approaches into the classroom (100% funding); creative movement classes for all students (50% funding); STEMscopes science curriculum from Rice University; the replacement of laptap computers for almost all classroom teachers; outdoor garden materials and programs; field trips; field day; 5th grade graduation; math and science night; healthy living night; science equipment and more.
Langford Market has 50% off Everything through January 21
- 249 W 19th