Thursday, April 18, 6 pm - 8 pm: Opening reception for Paula Hawkins at One Green Street
- OGS is pleased to celebrate the art of Houston artist Paula Hawkins. Paula is “a fine artist who combines realism with abstract impressionism to create works that are beautiful and symbolic, capturing color and light, imagination, time and mood, while combining art and quantum physics.”
- Stop by the store to enjoy wine and cheese and mingle with other art lovers.
- Work is on View from April 18th through May 18th.
- 3423 White Oak
Friday, April 19 and Saturday, April 20, 7 pm: One Step Promenade
- Hope Stone Dance Company takes it off the stage and onto the streets…literally…as it presents one-step promenade, a “site-specific work set in and around the eclectic and funky Heights 19th Street boutiques, galleries and restaurants” both nights this weekend.
- This “dance/art crawl” will gather audiences at 19th Street and Ashland and progress through the 19th Street shops, making stops inside some shops before culminating just before Yale and 19th Street. With no stage and therefore no seating, the audience sets out on a path of dance and performance that takes them on a journey sure to entertain, surprise and enlighten.
- The performance will feature a variety of guest artists and musicians including Greg Harbar, Kristen Jensen, Kirk Suddreath and Ana Trevino-Godfrey. Other live music will be generated by the young talents of the Hope Stone Kids Ensemble. Hope Stone Dance Company will be sprinkled throughout the street along with the young dancing guests from the Houston Met Too.
- Performances will be staged in and around the following participating stores (in no particular order): Mercader Antiques, Carter and Cooley, Replay on 19th, Venus Hair, The Lift, Edward Jones Investments, CODA, Eclectic Home, Gallery M Squared, Dramatika, Erica Delgardo Jewelry, Jubilee, The Green Painter, Thread, Joe White Antiques, Cricket's Creamery, Occasions, Langford Market, 18 Hands Gallery, Casa Ramirez, Vinal Edge, Bliss on 19th, Bespoke, Juicy in the Sky, Blissful Indulgence, Heights Cigar Lounge, Style Cycle, Boomtown Coffee, Red Rocket, Shade, Chippendale Eastlake Antiques.
- Tickets are FREE, but donations are appreciated…those who wish to make a love donation can call 713.526.1907 or visit www.hopestoneinc.org.
Monday, April 29, 6 pm- 8 pm: Greater Heights Town Hall: Public Safety
- Presented by CM Ellen Cohen. Cohen says “Public safety is the most commonly-shared priority throughout all District C neighborhoods. As Vice Chair of City Council's Public Safety Committee, I am committed to providing my constituents with the information and resources they need to protect themselves and their families. To this end, the District C Team and the Houston Police Department will be co-hosting a town hall for the Greater Heights community to discuss crime prevention.”
- West End Multi-Service Center, 170 Heights Blvd.
- Though some of the material presented will focus on the Greater Heights area, much of HPD's information and resources are applicable to all communities throughout District C, so all constituents are invited to attend.
IN OTHER NEWS
Style Cycle gives back with Monthly Charity Donations!
- Responding to requests to donate items to the store, Style Cycle has set up a program to accept donations and use them to give back to our community! Starting in April at Style Cycle we will be accepting donations for local causes.
- Each month they will choose a different Houston non-profit who will receive 25% of the sales generated by donations that are received.
- In April 2013, they are accepting donations for Relay for Life Greater Heights Houston
- 246 W 19th
Speaking of Relay for Life Greater Heights: Open call to artists for Brazarre 2013
- Submissions are being accepted for the 3rd annual Brazarre 2013. Artists are asked to donate an artful bra. Each submission should incorporate all or part of an actual brassiere, and each piece should be 3-dimensional and at least vaguely or abstractly represent a bra. The piece need not be wearable or functional.
- These artful bras will be sold in both silent and blind auction formats, and all proceeds will go directly to the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life Greater Heights.
- The Brazarre 2013 will be held on Saturday, May 25th, 2013, at G Gallery, 6:30-9:00pm, 301 E. 11th St.
- The deadline to submit artful bras is Friday, May 10
- Please email Vicki, event chair, for more information on Veaker@gmail.com. Please include in the subject line: Brazarre 2013
Submission / Artist’s Name.
- You may contact Vicki Eaker to submit in person (281.857.0073).
Please note: They would like to receive some artful bras prior to the May 10th deadline for use in press and promotional purposes. Submit your bra early if you would like your work to be considered for promotional/press use. All artists will be acknowledged for their work.
All submissions are subject to approval, and each applicant chosen for inclusion in the event will be notified by email. Additional event information will be provided upon notification.
And speaking of Style Cycle: Heights artist Elizabeth Cencini on display thru May 4
- Reagan HS and U of H alum Elizabeth Cencini’s work is on display and for sale at Style Cycle on 19th St. Check it out!
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS
The 8th Annual Frida Festival aims to unite the community through creative expression by collaborating with local artists and businesses to celebrate the life of one of Latin America's most highly respected and influential visual artists - Frida Kahlo. The Festival was established in 2005 as not only a celebration of the Birthday of Frida, but an exploration into her life, art and passions.
- Friday, April 19, 2013 6-9pm: Adult Frida look-alike contest
- Saturday, April 20, 2013, 12 - 5pm: Children's Frida look-alike contest
- "Frida" inspired arts market, featuring vendors from around Houston. Paintings, photography, sculptures, jewelry, accessories, clothing, toys, metal art and so much more! Visitors will have the opportunity to talk one-on-one with the artists about their work while enjoying the market.
- Vendors: Elvira Diaz Ocampo, 1 Stop Shop, OLA Boutique, Yamin Cespedes & Sid Rebel, Robin Silvers, Blue 130, Lizbeth Ortiz, Designs by Aida
- East End Studio & Gallery, 708 Telephone Road, Suite C
Saturday, May 18, 3pm - 10pm: The first inaugural Houston Press BrewFest
- Houston Press BrewFest will be an indoor/outdoor beer sampling event and festival held at Silver Street Station (1501 Silver Street). The event will feature American craft beers, local food truck faire and musical entertainment.
- General Admission tickets - $30, VIP - $55.
- Prices increase on Friday, April 19th to $35 and $60.
- Eight (3oz) beer samples are included in the ticket price. VIP tickets will include early admission, access to the VIP Tent located in prime view of the music stage, plus variety of premium beers and free food.
- For more information and tickets please visit www.BrewFest.com