Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Shop Til You Drop

4/4: Scroll to bottom for update

Studewood has become quite the shopping destination in the last few years. Many of us can remember when Oo La La was the only game in town along the corridor between White Oak and 11th Street. Tulips & Tutus left the tiny space on 19th (now occupied by Bespoke by GJCD) to join Oo La La, making it one of my favorite destinations for new babies and girlfriends' birthdays.
Photo: oolalagifts.com
Then Hello Lucky graced us with its presence. In the last five years, Teresa's shop and it's "Its OK to Houston" tshirts have become iconic. Her handmade, eco-friendly designs have made national news and all of us proud.


From Hello, Lucky's FB page
Most recently, a home-based soap making business converted a drab duplex in to the wonderfulness that is Sparrow and The Nest. Offering funky art pieces, handmade jewelry, man scented candles and toiletries, and delightful craft classes, this eye-catching gray and yellow shop cemented Studewood at 11th as the place you can go to get a great gift for someone else or get yourself a perfect pick-me-up.

Photo: sparrowandthenest.com
Now, it looks like we're getting another shopping destination.



I haven't been able to call to verify, but based on the font (real scientific, huh?) looks like it could be a new location of the SoHo boutique chain, with stores in Rice Village, Memorial, Woodway, and 2 locations in Florida. They have a couple of concepts, but the one I am familiar with is the Rice store, which specializes in trendy, high end clothes for girls, tweens, and women. I haven't been in the Studewood space (does anyone else remember when it had the painting of the woman masturbating in the window? Followed by an Obama as Jesus on the cross? Yeah, don't miss that...) but I'm sure it's not as big as their Rice space. If I had to guess, I would say this high end boutique chain may have noticed the success of La Camella and is aiming for the late 20s- early 30s crowd's money. Again, I don't know if it is the same (Will update as soon as I find out), but I can't imagine that someone would use the same name... Then again, crazier things have happened. Whether this is the kind of place I will shop or not, more retail is a great thing for the neighborhood, and with each successful new shop another one will find the neighborhood appealing. I hope someday to reach my goal of never having to go south of I10 to shop. 

4/4/13: UPDATE-- We have confirmation. Ally at the Woodway store was able to confirm for me that this is, indeed, another location in their boutique family. Opening date is probably June, although they are not set on anything at this point. She isn't certain, but guesses it will be the general "Contemporary" concept, as opposed to Couture or Tween. If you want information updates, Ally said friending their Facebook page is the best place to keep up.

It does make me sigh a little-- another not-unique-to-the-Heights concept, but we desperately need to build our retail market here, so bring it on, SoHo. Can't wait to see what you have to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment