Starting with some “IN OTHER NEWS” this week because it’s a little time sensitive:
Remember how a crazy woman destroyed the Heights yarn bomb last week? Well looks like it will will rise again!
- Something is afoot regarding the Yarn Bomb that was installed on Heights Blvd in honor of International Yarn Bomb day. I’m not exactly sure what it is but I know it will have yarn and pictures and your help is needed to pull it off! Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to the project, the knitters just can't let it end on a gloomy note because of one crazy person. Help them resurrect the Yarnbomb on the Boulevard in a “new format.”
- “Did you see the Yarnbomb before it was vandalized? Did you take a picture?? Please email your photos, ESPECIALLY if they include people, pets, or anything in front of the yarnbomb. Quirky and fun is dandy. With everyone's help, we'll be creating a new project at the site that will bring smiles back, instead of scowls and head shaking.”
- Email your photos to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, June 23, 4 p.m.
- There is still a reward for finding out who went so nuts they had to rip this art apart!
Thursday, June 20, 6 pm: Third Thursday with Heights Urbanites
- This is the 4th installment of this monthly Happy Hour for supporters and members of the Houston Heights Association. Over 50 people have turned out for previous get togethers!
- This month join the Urbanites at Little Woodrow’s on White Oak for a cold one!
Thursday, June 20, 6 pm- 9 pm: Help mary Anne Kick Cancer at Avis Frank Gallery
- Thursday evening Avis Frank Gallery is having a fundraiser for local design instructor Mary Anne Pennington. Mary Anne is 39 and is the caretaker/provider for her elderly mother. She has been diagnosed with two forms of cancer. Her treatment is expensive. During her recovery she is unable to earn the money she needs to provide for her mother and herself, so friends and artists have been working very hard to try and make a difference.
- If you don’t know Mary Anne and wonder why you might want to attend- Avis Frank will have fantastic paintings, prints, sculpture, jewelry and clothing donated for an amazing silent auction. The gallery says it “is truly some terrific art and more coming in daily.”
- 1606 White Oak (in the old King Biscuit for those that still think of it that way)
Saturday, June 22, 7 am: Heights Garden Club is planting the Boulevard
- Jim with New Roots Landscaping has just completed the edging and path near the Houston Heights sign at the south end of the Blvd. Now the Heights Garden Club is requesting your help to install some lovely new plants.
- They are asking for volunteers to help beginning at 7am this Saturday. It should take no longer than a few hours, especially if they can get a few extra hands to assist.
- BYO shovels, gloves and a friend!
- You can also like them on Facebook: Heights Garden Club
- Have questions? Email email@example.com
Saturday, June 22, 12 pm- 8 pm: Customer Appreciation Event at Heights Cigar Lounge
- Heights Cigar Lounge just found out they are one of the top clients for one of their vendors. The best in Texas for 2013. As a local business, they know they couldn’t have done it without their loyal customers!
- To say “Thanks,” they’re hosting a customer appreciation event Saturday.
- All Alec Bradley products will be discounted 10%. Customers also receive one (1) free Alec Bradley cigar with an Alec Bradley cigar purchase.
- Additionally, HCL will also buy you lunch or dinner (But not both! Don’t be greedy!) with your purchase of an Alec Bradley product.
- FlipNPatties food truck will be out front and you'll get a ticket from HCL to get one of their amazing burgers or great steamed pork buns. The truck will be onsite from 12p-8p.
Sunday, June 23, 2 pm- 4:30 pm: Blush, Brunch, and Bellinis
Get pricing and tickets at: https://blushnbellinis.eventbrite.com
Monday, June 24, 6:30 pm: Sunset Heights neighborhoods’ Fireman Appreciation Dinner
- East Sunset Heights, Sunset Heights and Independence Heights are joining forces in a Fireman's Appreciation Dinner for Station's 31 and 15 and their backup stations on Monday at 222 Crosstimbers.
- These are the firehouses that serve our surrounding area and they certainly deserve our thanks!
- The neighborhood associations encourage volunteers to help with serving and setting up Station 31 for the event. If you would like to donate your time to a good cause then please contact either Buster Pendley BusterPendley@yahoo.com or John Ridgway firstname.lastname@example.org about volunteering.
Monday, June 24, 7 pm: HEY BARTENDER at 14 Pews
- If you love Houston’s best known Bartenders, you'll love Monday night at 14 Pews! They will have the top 4 bartenders in town (Justin T. Burrow, Linda Salinas, Ornella Ashcraft and Alexander Gregg) on hand to create their favorite drink concoctions for the crowd to sample after the screening of HEY BARTENDER.
- HEY BARTENDER tells the story of how the renaissance of the bartender comes to be in the era of the craft cocktail. The documentary focuses on two bartenders trying to achieve their dreams through the world of bartending.
- VIEW TRAILER: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUwmDqi2kA
- Buy tickets at 14pews.org
- 800 Aurora
Friday, June 28, 5 pm- 9 pm: Food Truck Friday on 19th St
- ‘Come Hungry. Shop Late!’
- Join Shop Heights 19th for their first Food Truck Friday. Get your grub on with Bernie's Burger Bus, Golden Grill, Pi Pizza, Koagie Hots, HTown Streats, Muishsi Makarittos, Happy Endings and Flippin' Patties for the biggest food truck event the Heights has ever seen! Your local stores will be open late so you can eat, shop and have a blast with your family on 19th Street.
MORE IN OTHER NEWS
Updates and a sale at Heights Plant Farm
- For the summer, HPF will be CLOSED on Wednesdays and their hours of operation will change to 10 - 6. This is for the summer only!
- They are also moving old merchandise to make room for fall inventory so stop by for incredible deals on garden accessories and necessities. Many items are 75% off!
- Bonsais are $4 off for the month of June. Come pick one up as a gift or add one to your home décor for a unique conversation piece.
- June 24th is National Fairy Day. Wear your wings and receive 20% off all things "fairy!"