Saturday, February 9, 8-11am: Garden Oaks Elementary School (GOES) Pancake Breakfast and Silent Auction Fundraiser
- Join GOES families as volunteer dads and granddads flip thousands of free pancakes, serve up Katz's hot coffee, and auction off 100+ great items, from services trips to goft cards to merchandise, in continuation of a 19-year tradition that has helped set Garden Oaks Elementary School stand apart as an exceptional and diverse learning community.
- The Pancake Breakfast is a major fundraiser that supports important programs such as technology in the classroom, field trips, and student arts and enrichment. There are many fun activities planned for kids, plus the silent auction for adults. Guests are welcome to enjoy free pancakes, sausage, and Katz coffee with GOES families, lovingly prepared by our volunteer dads.
- This is an open community event. If you are planning to join Garden Oaks Elementary, please come this is a great chance to chat with fellow parents to learn more about the school!
- For more information, check out their facebook event!
Saturday, February 9: The Green Valentine Festival at Stude Park
- Established in 2005 as a simple tree planting, Green Valentine has sprouted up as a sustainable festival promoting the greatest of loves to protect the Earth, live a healthy lifestyle, give to the community and shop local.
- The free one-day celebration features local music, food, environmental non-profits, interactive activities on gardening, cultivating local ecosystems and supporting the local economy.
- “It’s about being a community. It’s about being sustainable.”
- Admission is free.
- This year’s fun will include: Green Speaker Series include talks on gardening, horticulture, fruit trees, chickens, bees, green homes, and more. DJ Sun & Soular Grooves. Food trucks, mobile boutiques, recycled & vintage fashion shows. Yoga, parkour, hula hooping. Photo booths.
- For more information, visit www.greenvalentine.org
Saturday, February 9, Noon -4 pm: February Second Saturday Craftacular
"Hearts Were Sliding Everywhere"
- Shop local for unique handmade treats for yourself or your sweetie for Valentine's!
- What's Up Cupcake Food Truck on site serving up cupcakes!
- McCheek's Mayhem - Beautiful Ceramics and Cactus Gardens
- Fuzzy Grapefruit - Handmade cards
- Rachel Orosco - Jewelry
- Love Lizzard - Pixel Cards, Jewelry, Embroidered goodies
- S&G Farms - Terrariums
- Co Co Roux - Gourmet Chocolate Covered Strawberries and Sweets
- Erica Bogdan - Artwork and Cards
- Little Mika by Alyssa Wible - Woodland Creature Jewelry
- 1+2=Love - Journals, notebooks hand bound from vintage cards, comics
- Tiny Deer Studio - Lovely photographs, cards, mirrors
- Paola Soto - Build your own Succulent and Cactus Terrariums
- Lotti Design - items made from men's neckties and dress shirts, women's scarves, vintage beads, recycled t-shirts
- Marisa Avelar - Mixed media pieces, collaged cards and heart brooches
- Katherine Adams, Therein Design - Gorgeous black and white photography of birds on a wire, nature, textiles and jewelry
- This Craftacular selected and presented by Marisa Avelar
- In front of Hello, Lucky
Sunday, February 10, 4 pm: Paul Williams: Still Alive at 14 Pews
- “He won Grammys and an Academy Award; wrote many #1 songs; starred in a Brian DePalma movie; put out his own hit records and albums; was a guest on The Tonight Show fifty times; and is the president of ASCAP...and you might not have heard of him. In the 1970's, Paul Williams was the singer / actor / songwriter that emotional, alienated teenage boys all over the world wanted to be, a sex symbol before MTV, when sex symbols could be 5"2 and sing songs about loneliness with the Muppets. A wistful musical journey that will re-introduce a new generation to Williams' soulful classics, Paul Williams: Still Alive is the charmingly self-narrated story of Stephen Kessler's lifelong obsession with the former superstar-and what happens when the nostalgic filmmaker finally catches up with him.
- When director Stephen Kessler first began to look into Williams’ life, he believed that he was dead. But after finding out that Williams was very much alive, he talked the aging pop star into letting him film his current experiences, in the process cultivating a tenuous friendship that proves more revealing – about both men – than either expected.”
- I have seen this movie and it’s awesome.
- 14 Pews is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization dedicated to serving the diverse cultural needs of our community by providing a forum to experience, discuss and celebrate film, art & music, and to strengthen our community through education and fostering cross-cultural experiences.
- General Admission is $10 and FREE for members
- 800 Aurora
Saturday, February 9, Noon -4pm: Q for a Cause featuring BBQ by John Mueller
- Hosted by Cottonwood and benefitting Housing Houston's Heroes, a charity for homeless veterans.
- Musical entertainment by The Palisades.
- FREE admission, meat will be sold by the pound. Cash and Debit/Credit Cards will be accepted.
- “Just in case you don’t know who John Mueller is, he is known for some of the best BBQ in Texas. Don’t take our word for it though, John has made the cover of Texas Monthly Magazine and has also been featured on Anthony Bourdain's final season of "No Reservations". “This *expletive* rib is
- amazing. Best barbecued beef rib I've had, far and away “says
- 100% of food sales will go to the Housing Houston's Heroes charity
- 3422 N Shepherd
Saturday, February 9: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GINNIE
Tuesday, February 12, 4 pm- Midnight: Join the KREWE OF BB's for Fat Tuesday
- Live music, crawfish, two full bars, beads, beer tubs, hurricanes, BB's food
- 2701 White Oak.
- Ruben Moreno: 4:30-7:30pm
- Keyin & the Zydeco Masters: 7pm-LATE
- 2701 White Oak
Friday, February 15, 11 am- 2 pm: Tour the Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA Certified Green Building
- 808 Pease Street
- Small group guided tours of approximately 25 minutes each
- Free and open to the public
- LEED for New Construction- Gold level
- For additional information and a map, visit www.houstontx.gov/mayor/leedtour.pdf.