- Presented by: The Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs, Houston Center for Photography and Houston Arts Alliance
- City Hall, 901 Bagby, Rotunda / Level 1. Tours of the artwork throughout City Hall will be available.
- For further information, contact the Mayor's Office of Cultural Affairs at 832.393.1097
- Refreshments will be provided.
- These 30-minute boat rides are a unique way to spend the afternoon with friends or family. Feel like you've escaped the city as you glide along the bayou's waters. Look for graceful herons, jumping fish, and even the occasional alligator sunning on the bayou's banks.
- No Reservations (20 person capacity per trip)
- Boat picks up at Sabine Street Bridge North Boat Landing
- Cash Only: $7 - adults, $5 - children (ages 4-12. Children under 4 not permitted)
- Parking available on Sabine Street Bridge and in City Lot H
- Life Bliss Meditation will take place at the Pecore House. There is a $5 suggested donation. Relax, Rejuvenate, Radiate! Come experience Bliss of a meditation technique developed by Paramahamsa Nithyananda, a young enlightened master from India, especially to counteract the stresses of modern life. The Life Bliss Meditation is designed to help center ourselves in our Being and re-connect ourselves with our true meditative nature. There will be a short intro explanation, followed by the 40 minute, 5 stage meditation.
- Creative types have lots of trouble with clutter. Most will tell you that it’s just a sign of the creative process. The only problem is that too much clutter interferes with your ability to be creative! You re-buy supplies because you can’t find the ones you know you already purchased. There’s no clear surface to work on, either. Come learn ways to control your creative materials and space, so you can stop dodging clutter and create freely.
- Price: $35 pay by Aug 5th, $45 after. They encourage you to register in advance so they can plan materials and refreshments for you.
Thursday, Aug 13, 5-9 pm: Traveli'N Gals Social at OoLaLa
- Bring your girlfriends and enjoy a night out with snacks, margaritas and sangria.
- See photos from the Gals' past trips and find out where the Gals are headed in 2010
- Free gift for the 1st 25 guests
Outside The Heights:
Friday, August 7, Saturday, August 8 and Monday, August 10: Super Happy Fun Land presents: The Ornery Theatre: Rough for Theatre I and II
- Two plays, performed together, by Nobel Prize winning minimalist Samuel Becket.
- Produced and Directed by Michael Switzer, the first show is “typical Beckett. There’re two men, a blind man and a man in a wheelchair, who are, as far as they can tell, the last people around.” The second show opens with “a man poised at a window waiting to jump out. Two men enter to discuss whether or not he should jump.” Both plays are about trying to find some sort of solace in a devastating word
- 3801 Polk. For additional information, call 713-880-2100 or email email@example.com.
- All shows at 8:00 pm. $10.
Saturday, August 8 & Sunday, August 9: Free Press Summer Fest
- Great music plus art market, beer garden, games and giveaways
- One Day, Two Day, Fancy Pants and High Roller passes available HERE plus info where you can buy them in person
- Eleanor Tinsley Park, 12 pm - 10 pm
- Portion of the proceeds benefit Project Row Houses, a non-profit organization in Houston's 3rd Ward, which believes that "art—and the community it creates—can be the foundation for revitalizing depressed inner-city neighborhoods."