- Introduction to Nia White Belt at the Pecore House of Studio NiaMoves. The White Belt is the foundation for teaching and learning Nia. Everything begins with Principle #1 – The Joy of Movement. The principles of this belt focus on the physical realm of the body and learning how to sustain and increase sensation in the body for pleasure and self-healing. The Nia principles are explored through the lens of science, craft and the art of the body and movement.
Thursday, August 13, 7:30 pm & Friday, August 14, 7:30pm: HITS Theater presents: VIOLET
- An acclaimed off-Broadway show, “Violet” has astounded critics and audiences with its powerful story, its energetic, toe-tapping Gospel, Rock, Country, and Rhythm and Blues score by Jeanine Tesori, and its well-crafted book and lyrics by Brian Crawley that are not afraid to deal with important, sensitive issues.
- "Set in 1964 in the Deep South during the early days of the Civil Rights Movement, 'Violet' follows the growth and enlightenment of a bitter young woman accidentally scarred by her father. In hopes that a TV evangelist can cure her, she embarks on a journey by bus from her sleepy North Carolina town to Oklahoma."
- Tickets are $15-25. Additional shows available. Check the website link above.
- 311 W. 18th Street
Now - Feb, 2010: Besa: Muslims Who Saved Jews During the Holocaust at The Holocaust Museum Houston
- Colorado-based photogrpaher Norman Gershman's thoughtful black-and-white images and oral history tell a story of a part of the Holocaust largely unexplored. Albania "got it right" when dealing with Nazi Germany- almost all Jews in Albania, a majority Muslim country, survived/were saved. This exhibit tells the story of the code of honor Albanians adhered to which involved refusing to turn over Jews to the Nazis.
- Regular viewing hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday; noon to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.
- 5401 Caroline. For additional information, call 713-942-8000
Friday, August 14 @ 8pm: Summer Movies Outside the Menil w/Aurora Picture Show
- High Ho Silver: A Ride Through TV Westerns highlights short excerpts from some of your best-loved television classic westerns. Take a trip back to the golden era of television westerns when the genre was at its peak and families gathered around the television for new episodes of Bonanza, The Lone Ranger, The Cisco Kid, The Roy Rogers Show and many other six-shooter classics.
- Free admission