2011! I hope everyone had a safe and happy Holiday season, whichever holidays you were celebrating. I had a wonderful Christmas with my kids, which included our annual hayride around the Heights, and a wonderfully quiet New Year's Eve (although I was woken up at midnight to the sound of fireworks). It's been hard to get back in the game after all that family time but there are things happening in the Heights this weekend and I want to tell you about them!
Friday, January 7, 8 PM: Heights Live! presents Tody Castillo
- The 2011 season the Heights' family friendly music series kicks off with a great Texas singer songwriter. Tody Castillo's newest album was recorded right here in the Houston Heights. I'm sure his connection to the neighborhood will bring a special energy to the show.
- For more information, check the Facebook Event page
- $10 cover. As always, kid friendly, sitting services provided, and BYOB.
- In the listening room at Heights Pres, 240 W 18th at Yale
Friday, January 7, 6 PM- 8:30 PM: Heights Beatniks opening for Michael C. Rodriguez's REACTION is RESOLUTION
- Beatniks is very proud to kick off the new year with this local artist. Michael C. Rodriguez. is a Houstonian who is definitely leaving his mark on this town! You may have seen his work on the covers of Free Press Houston, at the Summerfest music festival, at local art events (like the one and only Houston Art Crawl), CD & LP album artwork, or at one of his solo exhibitions. If you haven't had an opportunity to marvel at his work in person, now is your chance.
- Meet Michael and if you own any of his artwork feel free to bring it along; there's a very good chance he will autograph the piece for you.
- Wine and light snacks will be served. You're also welcome to B.Y.O.B.
- Check out some of Michael's illustrations on his facebook page
Saturday, January 8, 1-2 PM: Heights Garden Club meeting featuring Dianne Norman
- Dianne Norman is a fruit tree "guru" who will be speaking about which trees do well in Houston's climate, how and when to plant them.
- You will also be able to order bare root trees if interested
- Hosted by Wabash Feed Store, just outside the Heights at 5701 Washington
IN OTHER NEWS:
Heights Books- Libros is in it's final days. All remaining stock, including Spanish language books for adults and children, are now 65% off. There are several fixtures available as well as a printer and credit card machine. Doors close for good (sadly) on January 15.
Did you know Stude Park offers Jazzercize classes? In addition to the classes, they have just started offering child care for the 9 AM class. Cost for care is $3 for the first child and $2 for the second, and monthly passes are available that offer care at a steep discount. Classes are offered Mon- Sat at 9 AM, Tues/Thurs at 6 PM. For more information, here is the Jazzercize Houston- Stude webpage