- Attend the Night Owl Yoga class at Studio NiaMoves for free!
- Location: 508 Pecore
- Bobbindoctrin Puppet Theatre proudly returns to its rowdy roots with a collection of old and new short shows built specifically for nightclub venues.
- Longtime fans will have the chance to revisit shows where they first experienced wrong puppets can get, and new fans will finally get a glimpse of the early Bobbindoctrin history, before they got all fancy with two-act large stage productions with ponderous existential themes. These shows are fast, loud and hilarious, with a healthy dose of guilt over having laughed.
- SUPER HAPPY FUN LAND, 3801 Polk St.
- Friday and Saturday $10, Wednesday is "pay what you wish"
- GENERAL ADMISSION, NO RESERVATIONS
OUTSIDE THE HEIGHTS
Friday, September 11, 6pm: Fresh Fest
As part of the Fresh Arts Coalition, Aurora Picture Show is proud to participate in the first Fresh Fest. This FREE community event will showcase all the organizations that collaborate to be the voice for the best alternative arts in Houston. Our screening, The Aurora Goodie Bag, will showcase a collection of short treats from the 2009 Extremely Shorts Film Festival and Flickerlounge. The screening will start at 8:15PM, but the party gets started at 6:30PM.
Location: Discovery Green Park, 1500 McKinney
Saturday, September 12: Volunteer your time for the 6th Annual "Reach Out for Drop Outs" Walk
- The event is part of the citywide initiative "Expectation Graduation," a collaborative effort founded by Houston Independent School District, Houston A+ Challenge, and the City of Houston. The walk has brought thousands of students back to class to continue their educations and now is being replicated in districts and cities across Texas.
- After the first week of school, addresses of students who have not reported back are verified. Teams of volunteers then go door-to-door encouraging students to return. School districts can arrange to enroll returning students on the spot. The program has garnered so much attention that officials from several other cities and states have called to get advice on how to do the walk.