Sunday, November 22, 2009

Heights Holiday Shop-o-rama, Part 2

Could we really buy everyone on our gift lists with out leaving The Heights? I am working on it. I covered some friends in the last post. Now my mind has turned the people I find the most difficult to buy for: family.

Oh, my inlaws. People might think that the great Holiday shopping conundrum is "What do you get for the person who has everything?" I think it's much harder to buy for that modest person who doesn't want much. My father-in-law would be happy with a Home Depot gift card and my mother-in-law would be happy if that gift card would get something checked off her "Honey Do" list. What do you buy people like that for Christmas? I enjoy giving gifts and I am also pretty practical about it- not giving junk just to give. It has to be useful, even if it's not glitzy, which is good for not glitzy people.

On the western end of the 19th St commerical area is Urban Soles Outpost. I'll be honest when I say that comfort shoes are not my chosen footwear. I like a high heel or something equally uncomfortable, even when toting kids around. Yet even I couldn't help but covet some of the comfy shoes Inge and Shannon have stocked their shop with. One of the 1st things I noticed from the window was a display of Acorn slippers. I have owned this brand before and they are by far the most comfortable and well made slippers out there.


This little display made one of the most difficult people to buy for one of the 1st ones done. My MIL will be getting these great spa slippers in her fave color. At $35 they seem pricey for slippers but they will last for years and be comfortable until the threads give out. As fate would have it, there was also another more decorative pair of Acorns in the window that I think my own mother would love. She loves some slippers and these colorful wool ones would be great for cold Massachusetts mornings. For her I am still a little undecided though...


Machine washable, thick and comfortable. Acorn slippers $35-55



IMPORTANT: When I was talking to Inge and Shannon about their merchandise (and they know everything about all of it. It's hand selected by their own specific criteria and they know the ins and outs of every shoe, slipper, flip flop and bag) we talked a little about prices. You may think that shopping small business means spending more. However, at Urban Soles they sell everything according the MSRP meaning it's the same price as the mall, Whole Earth or even Zappos. You spend the same amount but get better service, more knowledge and support a local business which, in turn, supports our local economy.

The father-in-law has bad knees and definitely needs comfort shoes. Urban Soles has them. He loves Clark's and wears them daily. However, it's been hard for him to find a dressier shoe for church. Urban Soles has this great option, packed full of little shoe-y features that would make them perfect for him:

Light as air with a non-skid sole, Clark's comfort and 3 different ways to keep feet cool, including cleverly hidden air vents! Lined in super soft lambskin and priced the same as the mall $135

Here is the gift I have to get myself: Sanuk flip flops, made from yoga mats. I tried a pair on and the squishy sole is heavenly. In fact, I was somewhere (maybe Carter & Cooley) talking about getting info for these posts and when I mentioned Urban Soles, someone said "Oooo, they have those awesome soft sandals." They carry several colors for men and women. My 26 year old brother, who wears a suit to work in DC everyday, will love these for some casual comfort on his days off.


Sanuk Women's Sandals with yoga mat soles $26


And I don't have anyone to buy these for, but I did love these lap top bags. A simple, solid color or something with just a little more detail. Both would be great for anyone who carts their computer around. $48-58


Shopping around, I hit all my fave stores even if they weren't necessarily gift destinations. I had to stop in to Sew Crafty because it's so cute and Sarah is so sweet. Low and behold, I found these cool felt appliques. These would be great for anyone you know who crafts or who likes to appeat crafty. A simple stitch or two could decorate a simple hat, scarf or sweater.


Myriad flowers and other fun shapes, starting at $1


Also, if you are crafty or are buying for someone who is, Sarah is having a Wed night craft class where you can either make the craft yourself to give or you can assemble a How To gift set as the present. She'll have a broach kit, bath sets and more.

And randomly, Sew Crafty has some of the cutest wrapping paper I have seen so far:


If you live in The Heights chances are pretty good that you have a lawyer on your shopping list. When I was growing up, watching TV I was always lead to believe that ties for the holidays were unwanted. It was a bad cliche. But I didn't know anyone who wore a tie when I was growing up. Now that I do, I actually think ties are a useful gift. My husband wears one every day, so does my brother and my father-in-law wears one at least every weekend to church. They all appreciate a nice, new tie.

Harold's In The Heights carries some gorgeous ties (and cufflinks); something for everyone.


Conservative or preppy:


Traditional:



Mod:



Hipster:


I knew Harold's had great ties but always thought the women's was probably a bit more mature than I would wear. But on my trip in for the post I saw this super cute LBD:


We are skipping my hub's office party this year, so I don't have anywhere to wear it or else it very well might have come home with me. Hopefully you have somewhere special to go, because it's so cute and deserves a home!

And lastly are all the random people, cousins and such, that you want to give something to... And add those friends who are like family who every year have a party with a gift exchange. This is when you should head straight to Jubilee.

For the gift exchange we go to every year, there is a good mix of "real gifts" (mostly booze) and fun, white elephant type gifts. I go for the latter, past gifts including a disco ball and Star Trek Pez dispenser collection. This year, I'm thinking rubber chicken.

$16 is a fair price for the look on the person's face who opens this package

These flowery tools are great for ladies who are DIY. We have a very close friend who built her own picket fence. Hammer, scissors, screwdriver, tape measure.

$7-10 each

While Jubilee is funky and outrageous, there are things that would appeal to the more traditional style as well. For my sister-in-law, who likes that traditional Texas thing, turquoise crosses are just the thing.

While I appreciate the restraint that most Heights stores showed by not going full on Christmas by Halloween, Jubilee is not the kind of place I expect restraint. From pink metallic trees to yarn and felt balls, they are decked out and ready to party for the holidays. They have so many fun, silly and beautiful ornaments. You could waste hours looking in every nook and crany.

I certainly wasted more time than planned. I had the Wee One with me and he got the full Holiday prep treatment:


1 comment:

  1. great blog and the collection of the footwear is really amazing anyway in summers i would like to wear the flip flap because in such stuff we really feel more comfortable....

    ReplyDelete